Monday, December 14, 2015

STAR WARS MARATHON (1977-present)







To prepare myself for the upcoming Episode VII of Star Wars(It's only about a week away and I still can't believe it's happening), I've taken it upon myself to quickly marathon through the series in order of release.

Since I grew up with the 1997 Special Editions, I want to give myself the full experience. I want to see the films as they were seen in theaters and finally form opinions on films that have been such a huge part of practically everybody's childhood, including mine.

But first, some history: the first Star Wars movie I think ever saw was Episode I: The Phantom Menace. As of right now, I still have a huge sense of nostalgia about it and I think it's a fairly decent film, actually, certainly more imaginative than many blockbusters today. But it failed to be the magnum opus that the Star Wars fans had built up in their minds and it remains semi-unfairly one of the most hated films of all time.

Episode II, on the other hand, was never particularly interesting for me. Even as kid, Hayden Christensen was just... weird. And Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi left me cold. He wasn't very likable(oh, how things would change) and the only interesting characteristic about him was that he looked and acted just like my dad. Wow, exciting. Also, whilst I had no understanding of filmmaking and CGI at the time, I did notice the visual change when compared with Episode I. Overall, not many fond memories of this.

The one way I can tell when exactly I saw these movies is from the fact that Episode III wasn't out yet when I first started watching them, meaning that most likely I saw them in early 2004. When Episode IV(1997 Special Edition, for those who are wondering) rolled around and Darth Vader made his grandiose entrance, I distinctly remember asking my mother who he was and being immediately satisfied with "He's Anakin, but he's evil now." Okay, seemed legit at the time. Yes, I really didn't have trouble moving from Episode II to IV. They explained the missing period fairly well so I just assumed they had decided not to show it for some reason.

After this, my memories end, but the point's been given. I've been a fan since childhood. Star Wars games are my favourite video games. I'm currently binge-watching The Clone Wars too.

And now, I'm going to go back to the beginning and see these films proper as they were released in theaters and hope to come out with a more mature opinion of the franchise towards the end. May the Force be with me(or am I not allowed to say it like that?).

No comments:

Post a Comment